This year’s Capitol-to-Capitol program was a huge success for our region. Our policy staff is deep into identifying our wins and opportunities coming out of the program and here’s what we know so far:
- Our 12 policy teams attended 148 appointments on Capitol Hill, resulting in many productive dialogues with key Congressional representatives, NGOs, and other government agencies.
- The Air Quality team participated in meetings with USDA Forest Service and EPA and Committee on Ag and Forestry which elevated important regional wildfire issues such as air district regulations from preventative burns.
- The Air Quality team also participated in relevant discussions with key congressional staff about necessary regional and state policy changes to allow for biomass plant reopenings.
- The Community Resources Team met with the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, National Alliance to End Homelessness, Low-Income Housing Coalition, and Congressman Kiley’s Chief of Staff which resulted in new contacts for further discussions on key policy issues.
- The Economic Development Team advocated for the use of federal stimulus dollars to provide mental health staffing in police departments and schools.
- The Food and Agriculture team met with Congresswoman Doris Matsui to discuss food technology innovation and provided suggestions for the upcoming Farm Bill.
- The Flood Team secured a meeting with the US Army Corps of Engineers to discuss rural levee improvements.
- The Workforce & Education Team met with the Department of Labor staff and was provided with useful information for receiving grants for students and educational programs in our region.
- Our Legacy Gala charity auction of an amazing piece of original art by Joha Harrison raised $35,000 to fund the Roy Brewer Scholarship Fund (photo below).
Our Public Policy team is currently reviewing debrief forms from our delegation and plans to share even more of the ‘big wins’ and key moments in the coming weeks.
Please be sure to mark your calendars for next year’s program which will be from April 13 to April 17, 2024. To lock in your sponsorship opportunity now, please contact Susan Harris Brazelton at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.