Advocating for & supporting the economic success of our members and the six-county Capital Region by leading the effort to grow and retain business.
As reported by The Sacramento Bee, on a July evening in 1895, Sacramento Mayor B.U. Steinman called a town hall meeting to order with a stirring address offering the many benefits that would come to pass as the result of formalizing a Chamber of Commerce. A Chamber of Commerce was something every well-trained city should have to promote trade and local industries and to do many things that were in the interest of the progress of the city.
For 120 years, the Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce has led the charge in advocating for and supporting our regional business community and promoting policies and fostering programs to help the community grow and expand.
Representing nearly 1,400 members with 200,000 employees in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties, the Sacramento Metro Chamber is the region’s leading proponent of regional cooperation and primary advocate on issues affecting business, economic development and quality of life.
Throughout its history, the Metro Chamber has served as the region’s principal economic development and advocacy organization successfully building the region by:
- Positively lobbying for the establishment of the Sacramento Army Depot, Mather Air Force Base, McClellan Air Force Base and bringing passenger air service to Sacramento and its expansion over the years.
- Serving as the region’s industrial recruiter and attracting companies such as Aerojet, Blue Diamond Growers, and others.
- Establishing organizations that continue to serve the region such as the Sacramento Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, Sacramento Tree Foundation, Northern California World Trade Center, and NextEd.
- Positively lobbying for the establishment of California State University, Sacramento
- Successfully urging for the construction of the Sacramento Community Center
- Serving as the principal organization that recruited the Sacramento Kings back in 1984 and bringing the Golden 1 Center to the heart of downtown.
- Playing a critical role in crafting the guiding economic blueprint for the region, the Next Economy plan.
The Metro Chamber is the largest, oldest and most prominent voice of business in the six-county Sacramento region and we take great pride in serving our members and the community at-large.
79 BOARD MEMBERS
1,400 Member Businesses
200,000 Member Employees
VISION: Transform the Capital Region into an international center for commerce, innovation, learning, culture and recreation.
Being new to the area I felt like Metro Chamber helped make such a big city feel like home. Now when I walk into meetings, I feel like I have friends- not just business partners- I get the honor to learn from and spend time with. The introductions alone have made the joining fee worthy of the price and attendance of events. I am still surprised at how well the staff is able to bring such a large community together to do business across the Sacramento area.