BUSINESS RETENTION AND EXPANSION IS THE DRIVING FORCE behind the Metro Chamber's economic development objectives. That is why we helped to establish a long-term regional economic development plan to strengthen the existing business environment through education, retention, information and workforce development initiatives.
Existing businesses in a local economy are the primary engines of economic growth, with as much as 80 percent of new employment in a region due to the expansion of existing companies. Through the Metro Chamber's business retention and expansion efforts and Metro Pulse, businesses are able to access the resources, tools and information they need to grow and prosper.
How the Metro Chamber helps members weather the economy
The Metro Chamber is working hard for business to improve the current economic climate throughout the Sacramento region.
The region’s existing businesses can rely on the Metro Chamber to weather an uncertain economy. Here’s what we’re doing every day to help businesses survive and thrive:
• Leading the effort to actively retain and expand businesses throughout the region with the Metro Pulse program, in partnership with 13 local economic development jurisdictions.
• Leading a grassroots effort to support businesses throughout the region with a very targeted Business Walk program, in partnership with local chambers of commerce and business districts.
• Conducting Procurement Showcases throughout the year to connect small businesses to contracting opportunities with the region's largest employers and government agencies.
• Actively lobbying at all levels of government to ensure the Sacramento region gets its fair share of funding from infrastructure bond money created by Propositions B, C and E. These transportation, housing and flood protection bond monies will bring critically needed construction jobs back to the Sacramento region while improving our civic infrastructure and quality of life.
• Advocating a pro-business legislative agenda at the local, state and federal level with programs like Capitol-to-Capitol and State Advocacy Day.
• Providing unique networking, resources and procurement opportunities throughout the year with our Metro Mixer events and our annual Metro Expo event.
• Working collaboratively with partners to create the Green Capital Alliance, which will serve as the region's conduit to growing the emerging Green/Clean Tech business sector and will create 20,000 new jobs by 2015.
• Saving businesses thousands of dollars through members-only discount programs like Office Depot and Western Health Advantage.
• Fighting for business and protecting jobs throughout the region. We’ve directly stood up for DST Output, Blue Diamond, Sutter Health, EdFund and Mercy Hospital, as just a few examples.
No other organization in this region is doing more or working harder to improve our economic climate. Become a member today by calling 916-552-6800.